Birthday Besties

July 20 has always been a special date for me, specifically because two of my closest friends share a birthday today. They might come from 2 entirely different parts of my life, but they equally share a wonderful and warm place in my heart which has helped mold me into the person I am now. This post is dedicated to them.


I've known Bethany for a good 10 years now. My friendship with her is not something you'd probably read out of a storybook. In fact, it was very, how should I say... accidental. But you know how God works, with Him nothing is ever accidental. :)


Our eyes first crossed when I newly moved to Laguna and transferred to this Christian school called Amazing Grace. I had never moved before in my entire life, so that feeling of entering as a new student in a new school was totally alien to me. I didn't know how to act or react, so I just did what I was advised to do which was be myself.


That was the worst advice I ever received in my life. Apparently, being myself was a crime in that school. HAHA okay, kidding! I was exaggerating of course, but what I really meant to say was I had a difficult time adjusting because I was so used to "the ways of the north," being a little girl who was born and raised in Makati. South people just roll a different way and I wasn't picking it up fast enough. Because of my lack in tact, I was often labled as the maarte inglesera girl who was mayaman. 


(SIDE NOTE: NOT ALL ENGLISH SPEAKERS ARE RICH. THANK YOU.)


Betchay and I plus our highschool barkada after grad!


Jee was one of the people in school who first started talking to me and treated me like I was normal. It was the beginning of a beautiful friendship. Bethany and I might not have always been in the same sections together as we grew up and advanced in year levels, but our friendship never waned. In fact, Betchay or Besh as we would fondly call each other, has been one of the most encouraging people in my life and a constant instrument of Jesus to remind me of His promises and rebukes. 
During her debut a few years back when we were still new to the college life. I helped her other bestie, Cam plan her surprise party :)


The one thing I love about Bethany is that she's such a loving and self-less person. It's what makes her beautiful inside and out. Though I admit I don't get to see her often due to the pile of things I have to do, she's never made tampo with me, always understanding. I love this girl to bits. We might be in college facing so many different things and be in different blocks now but we're still as close as ever -- although I do owe her a catch-up date. TEEHEE!


Bethany is beautiful -- inside and out



The way I met Rebekah on the other hand is a whole different story. I'd never forget it as it is one of my most favorite stories to tell after these past 8 years of friendship. I vividly remember it like it was yesterday:


After service one normal Sunday, back when CCF Alabang was still Sucat, my mom pulled me aside and introduced me to one of her long time good friends back when she was still single. Her name was Tita Baby Dumaup. Tita Baby commended me for my girly sense of style and outwardly expressed her desire for her daughter to have the same. My mom then suggested how I and this daughter of hers should meet up and hang out sometime, and Tita Baby eagerly replied yes. A little too excited though, she openly invited me to have lunch with their family and adopt me for the day so I could get to know her kids.


I was then introduced to this very lean looking girl who sported jeans and rubber shoes with mid-length hair and a shirt which looked like was something her mum forced her to wear. She was called Rebekah.


NENE BEKAH! :p




I got into the car with them to go to Pancake House for Lunch. We talked about a bunch of things. I found out she was cousins with one of my schoolmates in AGS. After lunch, I was invited over to their house. I was given a tour and was even introduced to all their pets. 2 Pomeranians named Crunch and Louie, and their pet bird named Boomer who flew on my head. HAHA I KID YOU NOT.


After the tour, the adults left us alone so that we could go play. Hesitantly I went with her and her quiet brother named Mackey into the study room and they both switched on 2 Desktop Computers.


Bekah: So what do you want to do?
Deb: I dunno. What 'you got?
Bekah: hmm. Well we have the Sims. :)
Deb: I love the Sims! :)
Bekah: Me too! I'll teach you all the cheats!

Deb: Okay!


We clicked. And the rest was history. :) 


Bekah and I during our younger years. On this day, we were scheduled to get our braces done HAHA (and yeah, I know. BANGS)


Bekah and I were not long after joined by another girl named Patty later on with whom we've grown quite fond of and eventually became best friends with as well. I love these girls to bits as they have been an important part of my growing up and maturing as an 'adult' both physically, emotionally and even spiritually. We're all in different parts of the world now, but the distance only affects us physically, never our friendship. Even if we're miles apart and have a whole bunch of other stuff going on in our lives, we've grown closer than ever and for that I'm truly thankful for. I love how I can just talk to these girls about anything and everything and I just know they won't judge me.


Of course there can't be any judging! We're all wackos anyway HAHA

DeBekahPat :) I miss the both of us three!


I wish Bethany and Rebekah all the best in the next few coming years! Happy birthday girls!
May our good Lord constantly smile upon all your endeavors and guide you constantly. I love you!

Comments

  1. such a cute and heartwarming post cousin! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment