Still Standing

Most people would recall King David as one of the good rulers of Israel and a man after God's own heart. He was the guy who had slain "tens of thousands" of enemies, and even took down the Phillistines' best fighter and resident bully, Goliath. If not all of that, perhaps the story of his fall when he committed adultery with Bathsheba might also come to mind.


But little importance is given to the time when things were a lot less glamorous for David. When recalling his life, little attention is paid to him being the shepherd boy who tended to the sheep in his father, Jesse's field. The early part of David's life is not a story that most kids would hear during bedtime or Sunday School, however we fail to realize that it was at this time that David was being molded into the person he was to become. David learned how to fight Goliath because he was well trained in taking down lions or bears to protect his defenseless flock. David became a great king, because he knew that leadership involved a lot of service, which of course he was also well versed in, being the youngest brother in the family, practically making him the maid.


It's important to note that at this time David already knew he was going to be king. (Believe it. His anointing comes before the time he slays Goliath. Check out 1 Samuel 16.) So why didn't he just march up to the throne and tell Saul to step off because he was the chosen one? The answer lies inside his heart, and I'm not just saying that for drama's sake. David wasn't called a man after God's own heart for nothing. He completely understood it wasn't time and was simply obeying in the little things God wanted him to do at the moment. Hindi niya pinangunahan si Lord. (He didn't jump into conclusions) It wasn't just going through the motions, but patiently enduring the process with a thankful heart.


It wasn't just him. You see such a pattern also found in the lives of other Bible Characters. If Moses never spent time in the house of Jethro, he never would have learned about God and learned about service and leadership; if Joseph never experience prejudice by his own brothers, sold into slavery, tempted by Potiphars wife and sent to prison for a crime he didn't commit, he would've remained the ego-centric boy that he was; and even Jesus practiced obedience and surrender to the Father's ultimate plan of grace and salvation (Hebrews 5:8); as you carefully observe them, you begin to realize a pattern in the way God deals with people, and how He molds their character.


This is a lesson I'm having difficulty grasping at the moment. Ever since I got back to school, I've noticed that I lost that burning desire to be excellent. All of a sudden, I'm sick of school and I want to get it over with and graduate already. Since I already know what it's like having a payroll and a steady source of income, I'm beginning to feel limited and that life begins right after i receive my diploma. I think we're all prone to thinking life is a series of events, and life begins when we get to some point in our lives.


But life is happening right now, and Jesus is reminding me to be obedient and excellent in the little things. There are no fast and easy ways to get from point A to point B. There's always a process involved, and right now for me, that'd have to be school.


Konting tiis na lang, hindi na mukhang plastic yang ngiti na yan. :))

I'm a tad bit weary, but I'm being reminded that when Jesus is with me, He renews my strength so I am able to "soar on wings like eagles" (no pun intended). Jesus is telling me i'll never be prepared for what's to come if I can't handle what's happening right now. I'll get to that point in my future, for sure. But I need to go through the now too. It's all just a matter of faithful trust in His plan for my life and holding on to His promises. I'm almost there. But in the meantime, I'll keep on keeping on. I'm still standing but by His grace alone.

Comments

  1. "Kunting tiis nalang, hindi na plastic ang ngiti na yan. :))"

    --- Kunting tiis nalang, December na. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^ and cute niyong dalawa hahaha :))

    God answers prayers! :D I pray for you (and our other cousins as well) to be excellent in everything you do. He is OSOM. Tama, konting tiis nalang!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHA I apologize for our awkward conversations. :)) Thanks cousin. That means a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you really inspire me Deb. keep sharing your faith. your beauty radiates because of it... :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment