The Reality of the Philippine Streets

Sorry if I haven't been updating in a while, guys. Been super busy with a load of things for school over the past week. I'll get to that later on, but right now I wanna show you guys a side of me I haven't really expounded on in this blog.


In here, you might know me as the beauty addict/junkie who has a love for organizing events, but another thing I am most passionate about, if you must know are the arts -- both visual and performing. Thankfully, my school has allowed me to explore and enjoy both of my passions namely in my course and org.


I'm a senior taking Communication in the Ateneo de Manila University under the Production track. And i'm also a part of one of the most prestigious dance organizations if not in Manila, then probably the entire campus which is the Company of Ateneo Dancers. Being a part of CADs has shaped most of my college life with the experiences and friends I gain from the org. Though the performers are the folks who get the most recognition being on stage and everything, within the org we treat each other like family. The production staff is just as an integral part as the performers pool when it comes to organizing an event, preparing for a concert or a competition. :)


Anyway, CADs holds two concerts every year. One of which is an annual inter-org dance competition called Rhythm in Blue (or R.i.B. for short). Here, the different orgs from within the Ateneo battle it out to make it to the finals which will be held in the biggest and grandest stage in the campus, the Henry Lee Irwin theatre. This gives other students who are not a part of CADs however are also amazing in the art of dance to show the crowd as well as the judges what they've got. On the day, after all the orgs perform, there will be a showcase all the members/performers in the form of the concert. :) RiB has become an anticipated and celebrated event every school year. Even during recruitment week, orgs are already pushing members to audition and train with their dance troupe for this event. :D


So what does RiB have to do with this post? Well, one of the things I love about being in CADs is that it helps me apply whatever I learned in my Comm classes to our events. This year the theme for RiB is Kalye (meaning Street). This year's competition will basically be about how the different orgs represent or portray what they can see from today's Philippine Streets.


a whopping 28 orgs joined this year. Ateneo has around 40 accredited orgs all in all. That's more than half! :D
(poster by Bits Tan, Sara Erasmo and Stitch Sison)
The eliminations for the event was held last Monday, September 5 at the MVP roofdeck. It was wild. That is all I could say.


Let the photo speak for itself.
(photo from Ionne Ocampo)
There were a LOT of strong and talented teams this year, and I think that's an understatement. Perhaps a foreshadowing of the event itself? Let's hope so... but in the end, it all boiled down to the final 12 (there were only supposed to be 10 -- but everyone was just THAT good). 


Congratulations again to CODE, ARSA, ASEC, AMA, PMSA, ACheS, SPEED, MISA, ACOMM (my home org -- I'm so proud!) LEX, AJMA, and ACTM for making it to the finals! Everyone's really excited to see what they'll be bringing to the table come the finals :D


Of course, no concert is complete without the promotions to invite people to participate in this very momentous event... so the next day we shot our promo video for RiB. I can't reveal all the details yet since it hasn't been released, but I can assure you it's something epic. I'd have to say that this might be the most extravagant shoot CADs has ever done and we're mega proud of it. :D


For now let me show you a few teaser/behind the scenes photos:


Playing Production Manager for this shoot was SUPER FUN AND WORTH IT. :D
(thanks for the Photo, Tim Arafiles!)


It's like Fast and the Furious meets Step up 2, right? AMAZING!
(thanks for the photo, Ionne Ocampo!)
HOW DELICIOUS DO THOSE LOOK, RIGHT? The video is scheduled to come out some time by the end of this week, so watch out for it! :D


I love how being a part of the CADs Family brings my two passions together. Don't you just love it when that happens? Happy stress! <3


Cool Story Bro.
<3 Deb

Comments