Depraved Minds

Today during Philosophy class, my professor was discussing about personal principles and how we could will it to be universal laws. (Or something like that) He then began asking the class what kinds of principles we live by. A few gave some quite interesting ones such as "Hardwork will get you somewhere" and even wacky ones like "true handsome-ness is effortless". One of the examples my professor gave was a principle one of his former students lived by which was to not go home past 10 everyday, no matter what the excuse or occasion -- even if her parents allowed her to have a curfew at 12 midnight. He then asked if it was a good example to follow, and then he turned to me and asked me...


"What about you, Miss Victa, what time do you go home after parties?"


...and I replied with a simple... "ay sir, hindi po ako ma-party eh." [Oh sir, I'm not fond of going to parties]


Immediately I saw a bunch of heads turn around and look at me like I was loony. I heard a few whispers and murmurs going "weh, di nga?" by other students, which didn't really surprise me because it was a reaction I received quite often, unfortunately. Which made me think, is that really how the world runs today? Whatever happened to all those Christian Living exams when we were asked to answer no-brainer problems like:


"You're friends invited you out to a party. You know the party will end at 11pm. But you have a test the next day and need to study. What will you do?


A.) Go to the party and cheat the exam the next day
B.) Go to the party but leave early and study all night
C.) Not go to the party and study and sleep early"


These things actually used to make sense because you could actually see them being applied, but what's happening now? Why does it seem like option A is the obvious choice these days, and you actually see people succeeding at it. If there is a God, then why do good people suffer and bad people succeed? It actually reminded me of 2 Timothy 3.


 1 You should know this, Timothy, that in the last days there will be very difficult times. 2 For people will love only themselves and their money. They will be boastful and proud, scoffing at God, disobedient to their parents, and ungrateful. They will consider nothing sacred. 3 They will be unloving and unforgiving; they will slander others and have no self-control. They will be cruel and hate what is good. 4 They will betray their friends, be reckless, be puffed up with pride, and love pleasure rather than God5 They will act religious, but they will reject the power that could make them godly. Stay away from people like that!
 6 They are the kind who work their way into people’s homes and win the confidence of[a] vulnerable women who are burdened with the guilt of sin and controlled by various desires. 7 (Such women are forever following new teachings, but they are never able to understand the truth.) 8 These teachers oppose the truth just as Jannes and Jambres opposed Moses. They have depraved minds and a counterfeit faith. 9But they won’t get away with this for long. Someday everyone will recognize what fools they are, just as with Jannes and Jambres. (2 Timothy 3:1-9 NLT)


To have a depraved mind is to have twisted morals, its not just perversion or corruption of what is good, but even praising what is evil and cheering on people who do the same. A few days ago I was having a conversation with a few friends over coffee just talking about all the nasty things that happened in all the latest parties. Even the promotion for it was twisted, as if to say that the definition of a fun night involved sleeping with two women after getting high or drunk during a wild night a partying. I can't tell you how many parties I missed because I heard there was alcohol involved and then someone actually telling me, "oh come on, we'll just go to dance and make friends!" Or recall the countless stories I heard of friends openly and proudly admitting to be a virgin and being laughed at for it because they're too "frigid". And it's funny, because these same people who scoff at those who desire to live a holy and blameless life claim to be "Christians" too -- who go to mass/church every Sunday and pray 21 times a week (during breakfast, lunch and dinner) or go so far as to recite 12 Hail Marys, and go to confession etc, etc-- and when Sunday is over go back to their lifestyle of... pleasure. But you know where this is getting at and I'm not going to be mamby-pamby with you because Jesus was never a mamby-pamby God. It's sin, ladies and gentlemen. And that's what it does. Your flesh tells you that you want it, you need it and its okay. But it's not -- you might not reap the consequences now, but I'm telling you keep that up and well... May God be gracious to you.



I'm not trying to sound preachy, because I myself struggle with these kinds of things. I really do. I can't tell you how many times I've been faced with lust or the temptation to cheat (I'll admit, I used to do it -- still find myself doing it today but not as often as I should because thank God the Holy Spirit would give me a nudge). And the number of times I've caved in. I'm not proud about it. If I could take all my desires and put it into a tub of water, you'd probably get something as black as ink, because most of them are selfish, pleasure-seeking and not even glorifying. I'm only human, after all: a teenager who wants to be cool and popular and look smart and be with my peers. I want to be happy to and do something for myself once in a while. I want my voice to be heard, I want to be known for something. (hey, lets be honest, one of the main reasons why someone makes a blog is because he/she wants attention, right? I wasn't immune to that.) Have fun. Feel loved, okay throw that in there too -- there's nothing wrong with a little bit of that.  But if the road to achieving or becoming exactly that is leading to an eternal death, then count me out. I'd rather be the frigid KJ who spends an Eternity partying by a road paved with gold and gates studded with pearls. My age is not an excuse and I am first a Christian before anything else.


Jesus is coming. He really is and I believe that with all my heart. And the Bible says that the reason why it's taking Him a little while is because He wants everyone to come to repentance. This serves as a wake-up call more for me than it is for you. Believe me. But I pray this encourages you. Moves you just a little. Life and the all pleasure it brings is empty and fleeting, which is exactly the reason why everyone keeps seeking for new thrills. But there's joy and an eternity of adventure when you walk with Jesus. I've only truly discovered that for myself 6 years ago. I regret it hadn't been any sooner.




-------------



On another note, congratulations to Ms. Philippines Shamcey Supsup for bagging 3rd place in the Ms. Universe pageant 2011! Her beauty glowed from the inside out and I'm sure she made Daddy mighty proud today with her answer during the final Q&A. Actually, all the ladies were wonderful, and when I heard their answers, the spoke with such wisdom and eloquence. Maybe we should all start living like Beauty Queens -- their values still seem to be intact, and they even get cheered on for it.


PPS: Don't forget I'm doing a Body Shop + Beauty and Butter giveaway which closes on the 16th! THAT'S THIS FRIDAY! If you wanna join, check out the deets over here.


<3 Deb

Comments

  1. I feel you! Sometimes I wonder if I'm interesting enough for my peers (especially guys) to like me, but I forget that my purpose is to reflect the Light, not block His view. I am rereading Max Lucado's book, It's Not About Me, and everyday God keeps reminding me: "I made you for Me." A line from the book hit home hard:

    "For the life of me, I believe Satan trains battalions of demons to whisper one question in our ears: 'What are people thinking of you?'

    A deadly query. What they think of us matters not. What they think of God matters all. God will not share His glory with another." (ch. 9)

    Hayaan mo cousin, kain nalang tayo at manood ng movies at kumanta at least hindi pa tayo nalalasing at mas masasayahan pa tayo. :D I miss you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment