Wake Up, Please.

Hi.

Random blog post on a random day because I just feel like I need to get this out. You ever get that feeling that too many things are just happening all at the same time that you just really need to take time to sit down and compose your thoughts? I feel like it's one of those days.

I was finally able to meet up with my D-Group* and had a mini-beauty sesh with them over the weekend. Of course, as their discipleship servant, I wanted to make sure to include the Word before moving on to the festivities. So I talked about a topic that was close to my heart: on battling insecurity and finding your identity. It was a beautiful moment between me and my girls because I heard them open up and share deep and private moments in their lives where they felt vulnerable and lost. I'm so proud of them because I know that opening up to other people on what hurts you can be really scary - and there they were, pouring out their heart and soul that night.

We were joined by another girl who wasn't part of my D-Group but joined anyway since her leader wasn't around and she had nothing else to do. She was also tearing up by the time we finished. She didn't open up during our time together, but she sent me a note over on Facebook telling me how blessed she was and started telling me about her insecurities and the battles she faces in school. I'm crying as I type this - because it just feels so overwhelming to be used by God in that way. To share my testimony and what I've been through and to stand up and see that there are still others who fight those same battles everyday. It's so humbling, and at the same time the desire to reach out to girls like these burns stronger.

I've been talking to a friend of mine for quite some time now to start a project that could be an avenue for this. I'm super excited. :)

----------------------------------

Over the past couple of days, I've been reading posts from several people commenting on several (unrelated) topics. I saw a popular YouTuber criticize one of my favorite coaches from TVOTP, then there was this lady on Facebook who, unknowingly (I presume), was quite disrespectful in her exchanges with me when we were discussing directions to a place I was headed. (I didn't even know her, this was happening in the comments section of our common friend's post) :| And then I also spot random folks on Twitter who kinda throw a mini-tantrum when their 'idols' don't follow them back. 

You know what I think? I think we've taken the "everyone is entitled to their own opinion" statement a little too far. Because I think now, especially with the boom of social media, people feel entitled more than ever to get their message across - even if it means stepping on other people or disregarding their feelings.

I hate the idea that people think they can get away with offending someone by adding the line "it's just my opinion" or "just my two cents" at the end of their sentence. It's the same thing when people say a stupid and irresponsible comment and think they're off the hook when they add a "lol jk" at the end of their sentence.

I recently made a post on my page about this, because I was just really going crazy with the thought:

www.facebook.com/debvicta
And isn't it true? Look at all the websites - you think the 92532612+++ comments on your post are because they're critically thinking about your work? NO! They're actually arguing amongst themselves about some topic that is totally unrelated to your post. Trying to out-do each other. See who has the bigger ego. See who could last longer in a Twitter war. Who has the bigger (or more official) Facebook Fan page. Who's grammar isn't correct and how someone misprounced/spelled that word in their Youtube Video. "Get your facts right, honey. Do your research" -sounds famillar? UGH. NAKAKASUKA. In Filipino terms, nagpapataasan lang sila ng ihi

...and you know what makes me sick even more? These people who receive ill treatment from social media users all over the world, instead of turning the other cheek, will engage in a heated debate. 

"I got to where I am right now because blah blah blah - you're impossible!" (and to think they're not even celebrities yet. HAY)

Okay. Sorry, got a little carried away over there. But do you get what I mean? We're all hypocrites. We ask people to be kind to us, but the moment someone draws the line, we come out guns blazing. Maybe this is why some people aren't ready for success. Maybe that's why I'm not either - I've a long way to go.

Don't get me wrong - mainly, I'm writing this because I know I sometimes struggle in this area too. So i'm considering this as my little note-to-self. But I'm hoping and praying that if this little blog post finds you, that you might get a wake up call too. 

Please let go of your entitlement mentality. For the love of the human race, please. It's going to do the lot of us some real good when we all learn how to put others before ourselves.

------
* D-Group stand for Discipleship Group. This is a small group of of men or women whocommit to meet regularly to fellowship together and study the Bible. To learn more about D-Groups and where you can get one, click HERE.

Comments

  1. If people would only have this verse as their guiding principle in tweeting and posting, then social media would be a sweeter place.

    "Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things." (Philippians 4:8)

    Indeed, out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth (physical and virtual) speaks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment