Where To Find Affordable Wedding Dresses In LA (and a mini Life Update)

Hi!

Long time no update! I know I haven't kept up with this blog in so long - so many things have happened in my life this year that it's been hard to just sit down and write about it. I feel like as soon as I get over one thing, God is quickly moving me to the next. Always going and growing, I'd like to say.

To give you a quick recap of 2019 so far, back in March I lost my grandfather and had to quickly fly home to the Philippines for his funeral and cremation. Those were  truly some trying times where our faith was really stretched and tested, but it was also very encouraging to have God's people surround us with love and comfort during our season of grief.

A couple of months after, when my family and I got back and took some time to heal, my boyfriend Nate of 4 years proposed to me at Griffith Observatory!

He proposed on May 8, 2019

He planned the whole thing and arranged for our friends and family to be there and witness this special moment between us. Nate and I have been through so much together, and the Lord was faithful and gracious to carry us through! Having the people we care about, who know us and our story, be there to share that with us made the moment sweeter than it already was!

And now, here we are - 3 months after that proposal, and 7 months away from our wedding day! As you might have seen on my Instagram (if you've been following along), planning is in full swing. I've already sent out my gifts to my amazing bridesmaids, who have all agreed to stand alongside me on the big day. We've locked in the venue for the ceremony and reception, and have also met with our amazing coordinator. I'd like to think we're in a pretty good spot in our planning phase. Nate is such an amazing fiance, that's no bluff. He's so hands on with everything compared to some of the stories I've heard from former brides-to-be. He's really organized, and keeps me grounded especially when I'm having delusions of grandeur for our budget! (lol) When I'm feeling anxious, he reminds me that we're actually kind of ahead of schedule and I don't have to worry. Having him around to take care of the major stuff helps me think of the finer details we might need for the wedding.

photo by Madisen Elizabeth Photography

I know what you're thinking at this point: "I'm just here to find out where I can find affordable dresses in Los Angeles" Look no further, bride-to-be! I did all the work for you, all you have to do is scroll down! But first, a couple of practical things:

TIPS FOR DRESS SHOPPING

I started my dress search just a little later last month (July), after I got back from my first-ever trip from New York. I wasn't sure of what style I wanted for my dress. I did a quick poll on IG and got mixed reviews on what silhouette would best work with my body shape. So when I'd walk into bridal salons and dress shops, I'd literally tell the associates that i'm open to trying anything.

Some brides would probably tell you that you should know what you want before you start looking, just to save on time - which I guess would make sense if your wedding day is like 3-4 months away. But if you have a bit of time, like me you can probably afford to look around a bit. Keep in mind the time frame for making/ordering dresses is also different from getting alterations done. One shop advised me that 6 months before your wedding is a good amount of time to start looking for dresses because you need 3 months to order/create the dress, 2 more months for adjustments and what not, then have enough time to do the final fitting and make any last minute changes.

AFFORDABLE BRIDAL SHOPS (IN STORE & ONLINE)

Okay, you asked for it. Without further ado, here are the shops I've been to or seen online that have affordable options for dresses:

1. Cocomelody
Dresses starting at $299



Cocomelody is located on the 8th floor of the Garey Building in DTLA, close to Santee Alley. This was actually the first shop I ever visited and made an appointment for because a family friend suggested it to me when I was asking around for Bridal Shop recommendations. They have a wide range of dress styles to choose from at surprisingly affordable rates! This shop requires an appointment before your visit which you could easily make online.

My fave thing about Cocomelody is that it is owned by Puey Quinones - a Filipino designer, who I just found out is now based in LA. Being Filipino myself, I absolutely am all for supporting my fellow countrymen.

Another thing that earns a plus for this shop is that you can easily customize your dress exactly the way you want it to look. You don't have to stick to the style that's exactly on the rack or on the picture. If you like a certain dress' silhouette and beading, but aren't too in love with the sleeves - you can switch it up to go sleeveless, or off-shoulder. Or if you love the shape and sleeves but feel you can go bolder for the back, you can adjust it to make it backless, keyhole, or illusion - you can totally let your imagination run free and create the dress of your dreams!

2. Trendy Collection/Trendy Too
Dresses starting at $300

Located along Santee Alley, this store is TWO floors of gorgeous dresses for every occasion. The bottom floor is dedicated to only wedding dresses ranging from every size, style, and price. While the second floor has other dresses and gowns that can be worn for different formal occasions like prom/homecoming, quinceanera, or if you're attending a wedding as a guest. Your bridesmaids, mothers of the bride/groom, or if you're Filipino like me - Primary and Secondary sponsors can probably find something in this store that suites your wedding theme and color palette, so maybe you can plan a shopping day where you can all go together!

3. LUV Bridal
Sample dresses starting at $399

Before I tell you the MAGIC that is LUV bridal, here's a pro-tip: Watch out for Sample Sales where shops sell dresses off the rack. The reason why they're on sale is because they're selling dresses in the condition that they come in on the rack - which means it might not come immediately in your size or the year/style might be a bit more outdated - but honestly who can even tell if the dress you're wearing is an older style from 2017? Plus, you can always take your dress to a seamstress or tailor to get it altered!



Anyway, this has got to be one of my FAVORITE bridal stores in LA. Not only because this is where I eventually found MY dress (which I got on sale) and it just so happens to be a stones-throw away from our reception venue in the Arts District, but also the interiors are so nice and you get your own "showroom" where you can have your bridal party (or whoever you bring that day) see all the dresses you try on in a relaxed setting. They have a snack bar where you can get drinks, cookies, candy and even mimosas upon request! I also feel that their set up encourages some sort of camaraderie, not just among your tribe, but also will all the other brides in the store. The showrooms are kind of facing each other so you get to see what other brides-to-be are trying on. What doesn't work for you might end up working for them, and its so nice to see how a fellow bride's face lights up when they put on a dress. That was how I ended up choosing mine - the girls from across us were watching me try on a couple of dresses after their appointment was done, and when I came one with The One, they all gave me thumbs ups. "THAT'S YOU! THAT'S YOUR DRESS" - I wish I could show you my reaction. Remind me to show you a pic of my face after I get married! Haha!

They also have locations in Denver, Phoenix & San Diego!


But I think what got me sold on this place is the quality of their customer service. You really feel like a queen in here. One of my favorite parts has to be when all the girls working in the store formed an assembly line to bring all the dresses I picked into the fitting/show room. Magic, I tell you.

4. AZAZIE
Dresses starting at $150

I stumbled upon Azazie when I was looking for swatches for my bridesmaids. Azazie was one of the top hits on Google for affordable bridesmaid dresses with their wide range of styles and colors. When I found out they also did bridal gowns, admittedly, I was skeptical. I've seen too many youtube videos of people randomly buying falsely advertised gowns and wedding dresses on websites like Wish, JJsHouse, and Ebay so I thought this was going to be one of them.

It wasn't until I went to the LA Bridal Fair when I thought I'd give them a chance. They set up a booth to show that their stuff is actually pretty legit. Their main headquarters is actually just in San Diego, so I was relieved to know they're pretty local.

They have a great range of sizing options for women of all body types, and the best part is that they offer in-home try-ons of up to 3 dresses (per order) for $15 each! They cover the cost of the return shipping as well.

HONORABLE MENTIONS

These are my top 4 places both online and in-store to find affordable wedding dresses, but here are a few honorable-mentions worth recommending:

a. ASOS - I feel like every Youtuber and her mother has talked about this brand, so I won't go into too much detail about this.

b. SheIn - Not so much for wedding dresses per se (although they have some nice white homecoming gowns which can be options!) - but there are some great selections here for other dresses you might need -- like for your rehearsal dinner, bridal shower, or as a wedding guest.

c. Lulus - You can count on Lulus to bring in the trendy affordable dresses and bridal-ready jumpsuits. I also appreciate how their online store has a shoe section, so you can find some cute heels to go with your dress.

d. BHLDN - I just wanted to include this in here because honestly I never knew how to pronounce this brand until after I went to its boutique in Century City. Just in case you're in the same boat - it's pronounced as "BEHOLDEN" *mind blown*

Hope this might help any brides-to-be who are still trying to find their dress. If you feel like I missed out on other great places to shop in LA or online, feel free to drop them in the comments below! Weddings can get really expensive, and its during these times when we should be helping a sister out in scoring some great deals.

I hope you find what you're looking for!
One more thing! If you're like me and are doing most of the heavy lifting for your big day, I set up a new insta to share my planning journey there. I figured most people might have been getting tired of my wedding posts haha! So please lend me your support and follow @aisle.to.isle for tips, hacks, and vendor recommendations for all your wedding & honeymoon planning needs.


Love,
Deb

Comments