[Quick Update] Trials and Blessings

Hello again!

Finally found the time to actually sit down and write a new blog entry-- after one whole month. :| *Phew* Everything's just been happening so crazy fast that I barely have enough time to sit down and think. I'm glad I get to finally settle down and have some one-on-one time with myself + Jesus, now that all the fuss has died down. Watch out, you've got a long post ahead. :)

It's been a month since I graduated college and I've been busy as ever; preparing for the run of the year [Outbreak Manila] all the while, considering career options and which path am I to take. It's been one heck of a roller coaster ride for me as the Lord has been presenting opportunity after opportunity. And I can't help but feel in awe of all that He's been doing. I guess this blog post is just to recount some of the few exciting developments in my life.

As some of you might have heard, I recently put up an events company with my dearest friend Angelo, called Re-Create Events and Productions. When we were planning the business, I really wasn't looking into anything too grand. Before Angelo first left for the States to work, we were discussing how our company should start small - working on simple events like weddings, debuts and maybe some corporate events here and there. I knew that we had a long way to go in terms of "establishing a name" in this already thriving industry, but you couldn't deny the fact that the desire was still there.

The plan was already set, but the only thing missing was our first project. My parents, having put up an events company of their own some time in the past, told me we needed to either have a great idea and put it up or find a clout of companies - one that regularly held events - to be able to snag our first project. I already had a few enterprises in mind, but didn't know where to start. Fortunately, Angelo presented to me a great idea the night he came back from the states. It was this traveling running event which involved.. wait for it: ZOMBIES. Crazy, I know. After a few pre-prods and meetings we were set to launch. By now, you could probably figure that we were in the process of setting up Outbreak Manila -- which was a HUGE SUCCESS (photos to follow)
I was a part of the team that brought all your zombie-apocalypse fantasies to life!
I wish I could tell you all the nitty-gritty details of planning the whole thing. Putting up an event isn't all that simple. There's a lot of arguing, bargaining and hard work involved. There isn't enough time right now to tell you what I had to go through, but maybe if you would prefer - I could start a new series on this blog which shows you guys with my event planning side (in other words, what kind of a monster I really am haha).

I'd have to admit that it was difficult for me to deliver on that last requirement, since I was balancing school and work during the time I was planning. Jumping right out of the water into new grounds made it difficult for me to adjust. None of my majors prepared me for what I was facing (no offense, Ateneo). But as Israel Houghton puts it: "thanks be to God, who always causes us to triumph in His Name", in spite of all the trials, everyone had so much fun. The event was featured in news shows both locally and all over the world! Even though I didn't receive any credit, my heart is filled with joy knowing I made so many people happy. I could only point to Jesus for all this undeserved favor. I'm also grateful to my parents who literally walked me though the whole thing every step of the way and supported all my ideas and listened to all my hurts. And of course, to Angelo for the great idea.

----

While all of that was going on, there were still plenty of doors opening for me. I recently signed a talent contract under a big network and have been doing cameos in a few shows already. In fact, I'm set for another big meeting this Friday. I'm glad to say that my efforts for the Outbreak did not entirely go unnoticed, as some of the clients I spoke with (upon realizing I was a fresh grad) and a few head hunters have been nagging me about my resume.

This makes me stop and think: what does God really want for me? I know we all go through a lot of trials and uncertainty in life - mostly because of failures and hurts. But success can be a form of trial too. I remember my mother telling me this  some time ago. Trials are anything that can draw you farther away from God. Blessings, on the other hand are anything that can draw you closer. We sometimes fail to realize that there are days when Failures can turn into blessings while Success can be trials -- whatever the case, all that matters is how we honor God with our response.

So where does this leave me? I'm still stuck here, faced with a number of options - but not knowing which one to take. Does God want me to go corporate, or pursue showbiz, or keep on with this events company? My heart is literally all over the place. For kids my age, they don't really get the chance to explore "options". They simply fire their resumes in any direction and grab hold of whichever responds first, and usually - these aren't decisions they really want to make.

Hay. Decisions, decisions. For now, I'm just really looking forward to spending time with Jesus this next month. I'm set to attend two retreats this May and I'm already stoked just by preparing for it. I really just want to settle down with the Lover of my Soul again and spend some highly-overdue quality time with Him.

which reminds me:

Don't miss Jzone Alabang's Summer Camp: ONE!
Last week of registration na!

Until next time,
<3 Deb

Comments